Technical Scrambling and Mountaineering Course – Ropework for Scramblers
This course is ideal for scramblers and mountaineers who already have experience on Grade 1 ground and want to learn the technical skills and techniques to safely venture onto Grade 2 and above terrain.
Come and join our experienced instructors on our Technical Scrambling and Mountaineering Course – you’ll quickly develop as a mountaineer and gain the skills to safely protect yourself and your partner as you tackle steeper and more serious ground.
We believe strongly in tailored, bespoke courses that are designed specifically for you as a mountaineer. We will focus on your ambitions, rapidly develop your skills and accelerate your scrambling career.
In addition to tackling loads of scrambling, here are some of the technical areas we cover (although in reality, we cover much more!):
- Climb grade 2, 3, and 3+ scrambles and mountaineering routes, all in the safe hands of our instructors
- Get coaching on movement skills to help you progress quickly yet safely on technical terrain
- Learn how to take chest coils to shorten the rope and move more efficiently up technical terrain
- Find out when, why, and how to use direct and indirect belay techniques
- Build safe but quick belays using features of the rock and gear such as nuts, hexes, wires, and cams
- Learn how to manage stances and avoid rope tangles and twists
- Learn how to descent complex technical terrain safely
- Develop the skills to abseil off a route when committed on steep technical terrain, high on the mountain
On our two-day course, we cover as much as we can within the time available (and we do cram a lot in!). But if you really want to develop your skills, we recommend our four-day comprehensive course, which gives us plenty of time to help you make significant progress as a mountaineer.
Our Technical Scrambling and Mountaineering Course runs from the mountains of the Lake District or Snowdonia, and also in Scotland via our sister company, Highland Ascents.
We also offer a range of other scrambling and mountaineering courses, including:
- Guided scrambling – experience amazing guided scrambles and mountaineering routes of all grades
- Intro to scrambling and mountaineering – for those new to scrambling and mountaineering
- Rock climbing courses & guiding – the next step up for those who want to get into the steep stuff
Price and Dates: Prices are listed in the table below. Courses can be arranged at a time that suits you. If you are an individual and do not wish to have a 1:1 course, please let us know, and we will try to connect you with like-minded individuals.
To make a booking or to learn more, click here or call us on 07702 942980.
|Course length (private courses)||Price per person|
|2-day introductory course|
4-day comprehensive course
|1 person (1:1) £395
2 people (1:2) £220
1 person (1:1) £795
2 people (1:2) £440
Ages and Abilities: We welcome individuals of all ages and abilities, from beginners to those seeking to challenge themselves on more difficult grades.
Group Sizes and Ratios: Your safety is our top priority, and we maintain a maximum instructor-to-client ratio of 1:2. For parties larger than two people, multiple instructors will be available.
Venue: We select a venue that suits your goals and minimises travel requirements. There are many options in the Lakes, Snowdonia, and Scotland.
Kit: Upon booking, a kit list will be provided. However, warm and waterproof ‘outdoor’ clothing and footwear are essential. If necessary, we can lend you harnesses, helmets, and rock gear. We recommend using your own equipment however, to familiarise yourself with it under expert guidance. We will provide all ropes.
Times: Typically, we aim to meet at approximately 09:15 and finish around 16:30. We believe in tailored, personalised courses and will do our best to work around your schedule and other commitments.
Vouchers can be bought for all of our courses and experiences for your friends & family to redeem at their leisure. Buy a voucher
Want some free instruction? Head over to our new YouTube channel where we post regular videos. Click here to learn