24 Peaks Challenge (Linear Route)
We offer two different versions of the 24 Peaks Challenge: the Linear Route and the Circular Route. This page is about the original Linear Route. Click here for the alternative Circular Route.
The 24 Peaks Challenge is spread over two days, taking in a total of 35 miles of walking with 13,000ft of ascent (56km and ~4,000m of ascent) in just 24 hours of walking time. This is a long and arduous challenge for sure!
On Day 1 of the Linear 24 Peaks Challenge, you’ll start in Buttermere and finish in Great Langdale, following a similar route to the 10 Peaks Challenge.
You’ll take in the summits below in one 19-mile-long push (30km) with ~7,700ft (2,350m) of uphill:
- Leg 1: Buttermere – Red Pike
- Leg 2: Red Pike – High Stile
- Leg 3: High Stile – High Crag
- Leg 4: High Crag – Green Gable
- Leg 5: Green Gable – Great Gable
- Leg 6: Great Gable – Scafell Pike
- Leg 7: Scafell Pike – Broad Crag
- Leg 8: Broad Crag – Ill Crag
- Leg 9: Ill Crag – Great End
- Leg 10: Great End – Esk Pike
- Leg 11: Esk Pike – Bowfell
- Leg 12: Bowfell – Stool End Farm
On Day 2 of your 24 Peaks Challenge, you’ll take in another 13 peaks over the following stages, with nearly 16 miles (26km) of walking and 5,500ft (1,600m) of uphill:
- Leg 13: Kirkstone Pass – Red Screes
- Leg 14: Red Screes – Dove Crag
- Leg 15: Dove Crag – Hart Crag
- Leg 16: Hart Crag – Fairfield
- Leg 17: Fairfield – Dollywagon Pike
- Leg 18: Dollywagon Pike – Nethermost Pike
- Leg 19: Nethermost Pike – Helvellyn
- Leg 20: Helvellyn – Lower Man
- Leg 21: Lower Man – Whiteside
- Leg 22: Whiteside – Raise
- Leg 23: Raise – Stybarrow Dodd
- Leg 24: Stybarrow Dodd – Watson Dodd
- Leg 25: Watson Dodd – Great Dodd
- Leg 26: Great Dodd – Grovebeck Fold
Prices & Dates: Prices are listed in the table below. Each guide can take up to 7 people, so if, for example, you have a group of 10, you’ll need 2 guides.
We run private events, which means we can arrange a date to suit your diary. We do not operate ‘open’ events for solo challengers to join an existing group.
As this route is linear and starts and ends in different locations each day, leaving your car at the start and returning to it later is not feasible. It’s essential to have a dedicated driver who won’t be joining the hike, or arrange for private transportation. For a simpler and more cost-effective option, consider the 24 Peaks Challenge (Circular Route).
To book or learn more, please click here or call us at 07702 942980.
|Group size||Total price shared by whole group|
|1 - 7||£700|
|> 7||Get in touch for a price|
Ages and Abilities: The 24 Peaks Challenge is a very challenging and strenuous two-day hike. Participants must be physically fit, experienced in walking long distances in mountainous terrain and able to cope with the demands of the challenge. This challenge is considerably tougher than the National 3 Peak Challenge and is only suitable for adult groups.
Group Sizes and Ratios: We provide private and tailor-made guiding for your group exclusively. Unlike some other providers, we do not offer open sessions. We prioritise your safety and maintain a maximum guide to client ratio of 1:7. If your group consists of more than seven people, additional guides will be provided.
Accommodation: We recommend booking accommodation in Keswick as it is centrally located to the start and finish locations for the challenge.
Transport: A dedicated driver who will not be joining the group on the hill or private transport is required. To reduce costs and simplify logistics, you may wish to consider our popular alternative route, the 24 Peaks Challenge (Circular Route).
Kit: When you book, we will provide you with a kit list which will include items such as mountain walking boots and warm/waterproof outdoor clothing.
Times: Day 1 starts at approximately 5am and ends around 6pm. Day 2 starts at around 7am and ends at approximately 4:30pm.
Vouchers can be bought for all of our courses and experiences for your friends & family to redeem at their leisure. Buy a voucher
Want some free instruction? Head over to our new YouTube channel where we post regular videos. Click here to learn